Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bedwetting in children and adults

Join this discussion on bedwetting. See what people are saying about their own experiences with bedwetting!

Amplify’d from www.altmeds.com

Can betwetting be a warning sign?

I heard that children that are above a certain age that are bedwetting may imply that there is some cognitive problems or possibly even sexual abuse. Is that possible?

This is possible, but it depends on the child. Some children have trouble with potty training. Bedwetting every once in a while may be normal up to a certain age. I, too, have heard that sometimes it is because of sexual trauma. It really depends on the kid. If you have a child who is wetting the bed and you believe it is unnatural, see a health care professional or psychologist to figure out what is causing it. It could be that your child has a phobia or drinks too much liquid before bed. Who knows?

Bedwetting can actually be a sign of ADHD, some believe. There are many other causes for bedwetting, including certain types of foods and even genetics. There are support groups for adults who still have trouble wetting the bed where the psychological aspect of this problem may be addressed. But if you think that your child, or self, is having a bed wetting problem that is occurring later in life than it should, seek medical advice.

This is a little embarrassing, but I had trouble with bedwetting a few years ago, and I'm well into my adult years. It would happen about once a week. I was almost too embarrassed to talk to my doctor, but decided I needed to anyway. He reviewed some of my medical history and asked me if I had been taking any medications. It turned out bedwetting was one of the side effects of a sleep aid I was taking! It may have been because the natural signal that wakes you up to use the restroom was turned off by the medication that helped me sleep. I switched to a natural sleep aid, melanin, and haven't had the problem since!

Read more at www.altmeds.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment